Proof of identity

See the grey box for the full list of acceptable documents.

Identity documents must be current (not expired) at the time they are provided to Public Trust.

You can also present a certified copy of an identity document.

When do you need to show these documents?

  • We need to confirm your identity before we start working with you - please bring your documents to your first appointment.
  • We need to see them again if your important details change, such as your address or your name. Please see Updating your details.
  • If you signed up with us some time ago and did not provide proof of identity at that time, we'll ask you to bring it to your next appointment.

Who else needs to show these documents?

  • We’ll also need to collect proof of identify and proof of address from anyone who can act on your behalf (such as a signatory, attorney, co-trustee, partner, company director, senior manager or shareholder).

Updating your details

If you move house, or change your name (for example, if you get married or divorced), please bring your proof of identity and proof of address to your local Public Trust customer centre.

To update these details, we need to see you in person with your documents.

If you need to change other contact details, such as your phone number or email address, please contact us on or 0800 371 471 and quote your customer number (you can find this on any letter or email from Public Trust).

Who can certify a copy of your identity document?

If you wish to present a certified copy of an identity document, it needs to have been certified within the previous 3 months.

A physical copy (not scanned) must be certified by one of the following people.

  • Police Officer (include their ID number)
  • JP
  • Registered medical doctor
  • Kaumatua (verified)
  • Registered teacher
  • Minister of religion
  • Solicitor of the High Court
  • Notary Public
  • NZ Honorary Consul
  • MP
  • Chartered Accountant
  • Commonwealth Representative or other person authorised to take statutory declarations in NZ

The certifier must make a statement that the document certified is a true copy of the original and include the name and signatures of the certifier along with the date of certification.

The person certifying documents must not be related to you, for example, spouse, partner, parent, child, brother, sister, aunt, uncle or a person who lives at your address or a person who is involved in the transaction, for example, an in house counsel, chartered accountant.

Why do we need these documents?

Public Trust is required to identify and verify the identity of customers and any controlling persons by the:

  • Anti-Money Laundering Counter Financing of Terrorism Act 2009
  • Tax Administration Act 1994, which covers Foreign Account Tax Compliance Act (FATCA) and Automatic Exchange of Financial Information (AEOI)

Public Trust is also required to collect self-certification of the customer’s tax residency details and forward them to the Inland Revenue Department (IRD) who may share the information with overseas tax authorities with which New Zealand has an agreement.