Estate Service - frequently asked questions

Frequently asked questions (FAQs)

You may also find these useful:

If you have any questions that aren't answered here, contact us.

When Public Trust acts in the agency role, which assets and liabilities can Public Trust manage?

Public Trust can realise most assets that form part of the estate administration depending on the regulations and laws of the country.

If I need further legal advice, what’s the process?

Public Trust can offer further legal advice as well as develop a plan.

As the Executor, what do I do if the deceased lives in a different part of New Zealand?

Public Trust has offices across New Zealand, making it easy to access support.

How does Public Trust deal with special requests stipulated in the Will?

Public Trust will work with the executor to create a plan on how to deal with special requests. This can include shipping of jewellery, re-homing a pet or any other requests which are made.

What if I want Public Trust to take over the Executorship of the estate on my behalf?

Public Trust can provide a full service acting as the executor of the estate. Call us on 0800 783 932 or email [email protected] to discuss the option of renouncing your executorship to Public Trust. Note that the renunciation of executorship needs to be done before the probate application is granted by the High Court.

One of the assets of the deceased is a property. Is this included in the Administration Service?

No, it’s not. Administration Service only covers simple New Zealand-based assets and liabilities. However, we can assist you with property management as part of the Estate Service.

The deceased has a life insurance policy in a different country. Can I use the grant of probate I obtained from the New Zealand High Court to obtain that asset?

It depends on which country it is. The only jurisdiction to have express recognition of New Zealand probates and letters of administration is England and Wales. Other jurisdictions will accept New Zealand grants of proof where reciprocal arrangements exist. Where there are no reciprocal arrangements a new grant of probate is required. Note that insurance companies will have their own specific requirements which may include re-sealing the New Zealand probate in that country's court.