Choosing your attorney

Choosing your attorney

If illness or injury affect your ability to make decisions about your life, enduring powers of attorney (EPAs) mean a family member, trusted friend or specialist organisation can make these decisions for you.

They’re called an attorney, and choosing the right person for the job requires careful consideration. This video can help.

Some tips for choosing your attorney

  • Choose a trusted family member, friend or independent specialist organisation.
  • Choose someone who knows what you would want and will always act in your best interests.
  • It’s best to choose someone who lives nearby or at least in the same country.
  • They need to agree to the role and understand what is involved.

Take the next step

Make an appointment online, call us on 0800 371 471 or find out more about EPAs, and about roles and responsibilities.