Contestable Grant Round - T G Macarthy Trust
1 May - 30 June
The Thomas George Macarthy Trust calls for applications annually from 1 May - 30 June. Each year the Trustee will advertise in appropriate media inviting organisations from across the Trust’s region (old Wellington provincial district, defined as the area of the North Island which is south of Turangi and excluding Taranaki and Hawke's Bay) to make applications for a grant. View a map of the Trust's region here.
Applications are to be completed online via ‘Smarty Grants’. Applications are received by the Trustee and considered by the Board of Governors at their October /November annual meeting.
The Trust will consider funding charitable organisations, providing services that fall within the “four areas of focus” identified in the Trust’s Mission, to:
- Meet operational funding needs including administrative costs and part funding salaries for limited periods;
- Deliver social programmes and services to the community;
- Support organisational development to improve their capabilities and capacity to serve their communities;
- Purchase capital equipment or improvements needed to provide the activity, programme or service.
The Trust’s Mission Statement
To help build strong, inclusive and supportive communities by funding community based, not for profit organisations within the Trust’s region, that:
- Improve the quality of life for disadvantaged and marginalised
- Help children and young people develop and realise their potential
- Look after and provide dignity for older people
- Provide essential medical and emergency services
Eligibility of Organisations
Applicants are expected to have a formal governance structure and must supply:
- Charities registration number;
- Bank deposit slip;
- Applicants must supply a set of financial statements completed in line with the reporting standards set by Charities Services;
- Supporting information for their application.
- Individuals and service clubs are not eligible for assistance.
- All Early Childhood Education, Care Centres and OSCAR programmes must apply under the Early Childhood – Special Grant Round.
- Applications for retrospective funding will not be considered.
- Applications for religious purposes will only be considered if the organisation provides a full general secular education.
- Applications for assistance or promotion of drama, music, arts and crafts will only be considered if they are primarily for educational purposes or public benefit.
- Applications from sports organisations will only be considered if they can clearly demonstrate advancement of education or promotion of health, for a significant section of the public.
- Applications from controlling bodies are preferred, however, in certain circumstances applications from both a controlling body and branch may be considered.
- Applications are to be submitted to either the Thomas George Macarthy Trust or the Thomas Richard Moore Trust, but not both.
- Applicants are expected to have made endeavours to raise funds independently.
- The significance of government funding will be taken into consideration when assessing applications.
- Grants for purposes not yet commenced will only be considered if the Board is satisfied that the applicant can achieve the purpose(s) of the grant.
Organisations receiving a grant will be required to:
- Upload an official receipt for their Smarty Grants application;
- The name of the Trust and the amount of the grant is recorded in their annual accounts (or as a note to the accounts) and/or annual report;
- The support of the Trust is included in publicity material whenever appropriate.
The Trustee may request that organisations supply additional information confirming that funds have been utilised as per the application.
All open grant applications are accessible here.