David Ellison Charitable Trust
David Ellison was born and educated in England. He served in the Royal Artillery and saw active service in the Korean War. David graduated from Oxford with a degree in mathematics, and started his teaching career at Cheltenham College in Gloucestershire. In 1964 he travelled to New Zealand to take up a position at Wanganui Collegiate School, where he taught maths and later became the Director of music. He then taught at Christ’s College in Christchurch from 1969 to 1991. David’s strong Christian faith inspired him to create the ‘David Ellison Charitable Trust’ in blessing for his recovery from a stroke in 1995. Throughout David’s retirement, the Trust was the main focus of his life.
The Trusts Mission Statement
To promote and advance charitable purposes in New Zealand and overseas or other charitable causes through New Zealand charitable organisations with a primary focus on the Christchurch/Canterbury region. Applications of up to a maximum grant of $10,000 will be considered under the contestable grant round and $30,000 in the Innovative Project grant round.
To assist New Zealand charitable organisations to build strong, inclusive and supportive communities that:
- Maintain and improve children’s health, education and well-being both in New Zealand and overseas.
- Work to provide preventative education and support and improve the quality of life for at risk families within New Zealand.
- Maintain and improve the quality of life and health aid for families and poverty stricken communities.
- Through New Zealand charitable organisations - provide disaster relief and aid in crisis situations.
Preference will be given to those of a Christian focus, but applicants without this focus will also be considered.
Through thoughtful and targeted grant making that either compliments other funding sources or, targets projects where alternative sources of funding are not available.
Grants will focus on supporting organisations and projects that address specific issues and needs relative to the Trust’s Mission Statement
The Trust's grant rounds
The David Ellison Trust has two separate annual grant rounds:
- Contestable Grant Applications 2020 - 2 March to 15 May. Due to the Covid 19 lockdown, the closing date for applications has been extended from 30 April 2020 to 15 May 2020. The outcome of the applications will be advised by the end of June 2020. Please note that these dates are subject to change if the period of isolation of all New Zealanders is extended beyond 4 weeks. Any questions please email firstname.lastname@example.org. Learn more about the contestable grant round here.
- Innovative Project Grant Applications 2020 - 1 September to 30 October
Learn more about the Innovative Project Grant round here.
You can view lists here of previous grant payments made by the Trust.
Public Trust is responsible for administering the David Ellison Charitable Trust. Funding applications are received by the Trustee and considered by the Advisory Board at the annual meeting.
All open grant applications are accessible here.