Public Trust is a Crown Entity whose independence is guaranteed under the Public Trust Act 2001. Our Māori name, Te Tari Tiaki Iwi, translates as 'the organisation that takes care of people'.
We were established in 1873 to provide independent and reliable trustee services. Today we have over 300 employees operating from 23 customer centres and a number of part time and appointment only sites across New Zealand.
We provide services to three core customer markets:
- Our advisers and lawyers help more New Zealanders write their Wills every year than anyone else. We're responsible for writing more than 6,600 Wills annually.
- We manage all types of estates from the straightforward to the complex, and employ an extensive network of experienced specialists.
- We manage around 4,000 family trusts.
- We administer or manage approximately $850 million in assets, including around $560 million in investment funds.
- We manage the financial matters of around 3,500 customers as their attorney, including approximately 1,200 people who are incapacitated and unable to manage their own affairs.
- We manage over 400 charitable trusts, which generate funding for interests as diverse as science, medicine, disability and agriculture.
- We manage around 60 farms, including Smedley Station - New Zealand's largest training farm.
- Around 250 private training establishments now use our Fee Protect service. Since its launch, Fee Protect has safeguarded over $2 billion of fees for more than 380,000 students.
- Corporate Trustee Services is a division of Public Trust serving the corporate and business market. It has approximately $45 billion under supervision on behalf of investors.
- Corporate Trustee Services offers some of Australasia's best known institutions a full range of trustee services across a diverse range of products.